Oral Cancer Screenings in McKinney, TX
Do you think that oral cancer screening near you is something that you don’t need to worry about because you’re a non-smoker? Surprising to many, oral cancer can affect patients who have never smoked. Our dentist near you at Dream Family Dental can perform an oral cancer screening as a stand-alone appointment or as a part of another exam or cleaning appointment. Our goal is to make the screening as convenient as possible. Following are some alarming facts about oral cancer.
Facts About Oral Cancer
Here are a few facts about oral cancer that you may not have heard. These facts reinforce the importance of receiving annual screening for oral cancer in McKinney, TX just as you receive annual screening for other health concerns.
- Over 8,000 people die each year as a result of oral cancer.
- Oral cancer is similar to other forms of the disease in that a patient may not notice it in its early stages without medical testing, including tests performed by our dentists.
- Since oral cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages, it can grow without producing pain.
- Almost 90 percent of head and neck cancers (except for brain cancer) are types of oral cancer.
- Alcohol consumption is another risk factor, and when combined with tobacco use, the risk increases even further.
- Another segment at a higher risk of developing oral cancer is people infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV-16).
As mentioned, oral cancer often goes unnoticed at home because its symptoms can be difficult to notice without medical intervention. However, if you notice any of the following symptoms, we encourage you to call our dentist in McKinney, TX for oral cancer screening from Dream Family Dental:
- A sore or lesion in your oral cavity that won’t heal
- A lump, bump, or thickening of tissue in your cheek or other areas of your mouth
- Unexplained chronic hoarseness
- Unexplained bleeding from your gums
- Numbness in your jaw
Ready to Schedule Oral Cancer Screening?
Call our office today or make an appointment with our dentists in McKinney, TX for oral cancer screening near you at Dream Family Dental.